When people think about a brand often the first thing that comes to mind is the company logo and perhaps a tagline. However, your business brand is much more than your logo. It is a critical part of your marketing mix and done well will shout out to the marketplace at every touch point so that your potential clients get a real feel for who you are and what you are about. Not just a mental image but a heartfelt emotional image and one that invokes a response.
So whether you are speaking, writing or creating visuals your brand will be consistent, congruent and totally authentic.
Really, your brand is the promise of the experience your clients will have when they use your products or services. And it is this promise that you want to infuse into your brand.
And it makes no difference whether you are a solo-preneuer, a small business or a large corporation you still need a company brand or personality that expresses your uniqueness so you can stand out in a crowded marketplace.
It is your brand and your brand promise that will attract your ideal clients and pull them towards you so you don’t have to chase them.
Here’s 6 key points to include in the process of creating your brand.
1. Work out what your unique brilliance is. Everyone has their own but not everyone takes the trouble to find out what theirs is. Understand that it’s not what you actually do like a skill or a task that you perform. Rather it’s the thing that is always true for you no matter what you are doing. It’s the core or the essence of you and what you bring to everything that comes so naturally to you – you don’t even have to think about it.
2. Decide what you and your company are a stand for. What is it that your clients can always depend on if they engage your services or buy your products. This is your brand promise and potential clients will be more attracted to a clear message that resonates with them.
3. Identify your choice client tribe so your brand promise can speak to them directly. It will help if you identify the problems they want to solve and most importantly make sure that they are prepared to pay for your solution. This is a surefire way to attract qualified clients like a magnet.
4. Uncover your specific expertise. Once again this is not your credentials or your qualifications so much as what you are naturally talented at. For instance if you are a coach you could be an expert at achieving breakthroughs. Or an organizer could be an expert at creating order out of chaos.
5. Identify your brand’s key emotions. It’s a well known fact that people buy on emotions then back up their buying decision with logic so it’s worth spending some time to decide what emotions you want to stir in your prospective clients. How do you want them to feel once they use your services? Confident, elated, secure, excited?
6. Incorporate words, colours, fonts and images that reflect the elements you’ve uncovered in the previous 5 steps. The combinations are endless and once you’ve got this right you’ll have a distinctive memorable brand that is uniquely you.
One of the big advantages of having a brand that truly represents you is you can just be yourself. Having this documented will also help you train staff to understand and deliver your brand experience consistently at every touch point with your clients.
Another advantage is this document will make briefing copywriters and creative designers a breeze. Armed with this level of detail they can work through the creative process quickly and easily to deliver your marketing materials to reflect exactly how you want to be perceived and seen out in the market place.
Small business marketing expert Kathleen Ann is the “Marketing Champion for small Business and entrepreneurs.” As a Certified Money, Marketing and Soul Coach Kathleen delivers breakthrough marketing strategies so heart-centered entrepreneurs can Brand, Package and Price their services to quickly create more money, time and freedom in their business. For free articles, free resources and to sign up for her free audio and transcript “7 Must Know Secrets to Business Branding Success “, essential Branding strategies to help you attract qualified ideal clients in droves, visit