There are many businesses these days that run entirely from the internet. Many of these internet businesses do not have to rely on search engine traffic for their customers. Rather, they depend on their brand. Amazon is such an example. But you do not have to be such a huge business to know how to build brand awareness.
What is a brand? It is simply an image or text that people recognise as being able to provide great services or product. It can also include such things as customer relationships, a caring approach to business, quality etc. However, knowing how to build brand awareness means that the brand has to be known by a lot of people so that the brand creates a ‘top of mind awareness’ for when the potential customers are ready to purchase the product you produce. This is also part of attraction marketing where the client wants to come to you, rather than you trying to push your product out to them.
How can a home based business with very little in the way of resources achieve this branding? You have to know how to build brand awareness with little expense. However, there is inevitably a great deal of time consumed when developing a brand. By using internet marketing it is now relatively easy for a home based business to know how to build brand awareness.
Perhaps the hardest thing for an entrepreneur to realise is that they need to spend nearly as much time developing their brand (which is really marketing and promotion) as they do in creating and delivering their product/service. This is because it takes time; there is no use waiting until you have some ‘spare time’ to work on your marketing and promotion; it just does not work that way.
You need to put aside time every simple week (if not every day!) to take some action towards building your brand. If you are not prepared to do this, then you will remain dependent on such expensive things as advertising to build your brand.
Here are a couple of tips on how to use keywords to get you a higher listing on Google:
1. Choose a really good keyword with a search volume of between 2,000 and 20,000 if possible (you can find suitable keywords and their search volume in the Google AdWords Keyword Tool). Remember, the higher the search volume the more competition you will have.
2. Register a domain name using the keyword (if the keyword is a long tailed one i.e. two or more words, then it is more likely to tell you that those searching on it have a problem that you can solve. If you already have a domain name (probably your business name) then have that domain name point to the new one which includes the keyword (your host can do this for you; note if you are using HostGator then there is a built in method allowing you to easily do this)
You need to keep in mind that Google doesn’t care about your business, and probably that is a good think. They constantly change the rules and if you have relied too heavily on the walk through traffic that Google can send you, then it is time to learn how to build brand awareness around the traffic you gain from search engines.
Follow these steps as a short cut to learning how to build brand awareness:
1. Get as much traffic as you can from the search engines by being ranked high
2. Create a ‘list’ by offering a series of freebies to visitors; developing great content; using social media to link back to your website offers etc.
3. Brand yourself as well as your business. Your name should be on everyone’s lips and in their mind (attraction marketing begins!)
4. Send regular information to your list. This may be newsletters (try to feature clients from time to time); it may be via email offers, tips, suggestions, referrals; point them to interesting blog sand forum information etc. Members of your list have to be constantly made aware of what it is you do and how you do it. This is how to build brand awareness.
Do not rely on search engine traffic alone to build your brand; rather use this as one of your strategies. You will build brand loyalty by constantly offering your list great information, special offers and caring service.