So, you’ve joined a network marketing company and you haven’t a clue as to what to do; however, you don’t agree with the way your upline/sponsor is telling you to proceed or you just want to learn the most effective way to get into profit quickly. Well, good for you! Your thinking is ‘correct’ and taking the initiative to search for an alternative approach is applauded. So here are the do’s and the don’ts to help you build your network marketing business right from home.
Most network marketing companies are still using methods that came out of the 1960’s. Truthfully, these methods simply are not effective today in the 21st century. For sure, you are given a company website, company brochures and DVDs are awesome, free training is offered, and you may get your first set of business cards absolutely free. But what if I told you that you need very little of this to successfully build your network marketing business from home today in 2011? It’s true! Keep an open mind and read on.
Let’s cover the DON’Ts first, shall we:
1. Marketing To Your Family and Friends (Your ‘Warm Market’): They may buy some products or service from you, but generally speaking, your warm market is NOT your best prospects. Save your time and energy…and savor these relationships vs. using them.
2. Purchasing And Passing Out Loads Of Company Brochures, DVDs, Fliers, and/or Samples: Simply put, you will probably spend a lot of money and time (wasted time) putting these paid-for materials in the wrong hands. A misconception is that EVERYONE is your prospect. Not true.
3. Company Training: Proper marketing techniques and tools are not inherently taught by network marketing companies. To really build a network marketing business today, you need to learn how to prospect or ‘TARGET’ your audience and how to ‘POSITION’ yourself. Unfortunately, I know of no network marketing company that will teach you these crucial methods.
4. Business Cards: Business cards are great when you are at business functions or events where you are exchanging information. Make sure you are putting that card in the right hands…the hands of a true prospect. On the other hand, if you learn how to use proper marketing techniques from your home, guess what? You really don’t need business cards.
5. Your Company Website: This website positions the company, not you. You literally have to invite prospects to your company website; it will not generate traffic for you; and prospects are generally overwhelmed with too much information (about the company, opportunity, products) and they will not stay long on that site. This type of website is a great tool AFTER enrolling your customers or business partners.
6. Weekly Meetings or Presentations: If you like meetings and presentations, then go for it. But the whole purpose in inviting prospects is to have them join you in business. You may find yourself going to meetings without visitors/prospects and paying a fee…ultimately wasting your time and money. Many times you approach prospects as a favor to come along to this ‘mystery’ meeting…and prospects end up disgruntled (or worse) when they’re coerced into what they think is a ‘scheme’ vs. just being upfront and honest with them from the beginning.
7. Biz-Op Leads: Business Opportunity leads are mostly a waste of your money since they’ve usually been around the block a few times…and are not as targeted or fresh as they are made out to be. They are usually expensive, ranging from $1.00 to $150.00 per name. Save your money. There are better ways. Rule of thumb: never pay more than 25 cents for a lead.
8. Leading With Your Opportunity: In growing your network marketing business, if you lead with the opportunity…don’t be surprised when you get responses like “How much are you making, then?” or “How well are you doing?” or “That sounds like one of those Pyramid Schemes!” and ultimate REJECTION. People will not be vested in the product or service. The almighty dollar will speak more loudly and this is what gives network marketing a “PIT OF GREED” look. This is not a foundational way to grow your home business.
These Don’ts, unfortunately, are a recipe for business frustration and poor results for the majority of network marketers. You WILL spend a great deal of time, money, and energy to grow your business with dismal results. Time is money. What is the value of your time…and what do you want to get paid per hour? As an independent distributor, you want to treat your network marketing business as a ‘BUSINESS’ which means financial compensation for your time and energy and a profitable ROI. Having prospects finding you is the best way to start. You want to be the CEO of your company, not an employee of your network marketing company, right?
So what do you need to do to optimize your time and money? Here are the Do’s to build your network marketing business and achieve results. By results, I mean profits and success. Everyone’s definition of success is different; but generally, most people today are looking for financial freedom and time freedom.
So here you go:
1. Do Target Your Audience: Be in front of prospects who need, want, and desire your product or service and/or opportunity; they are already pre-disposed to buy from you.
2. Do Attract These Targeted Prospects To You: i.e. POSITION Yourself: Learn how to have your target audience finding YOU, asking you for information vs. you chasing them.
3. Do Maximize ‘3’ Powerful Tools In The Industry: that’s the Internet, your phone, and your compelling message. Use the power of the written word to communicate effectively.
4. Do Learn To Generate Your Own Leads: You need a massive, unending supply of targeted prospects reaching out to you every day. Generate them yourselves with the proper marketing internet skill-set and a mentor to guide you.
5. Do Lead With Your Product/Service To Gain Lots Of Customers/Clients: The difference between your company and the thousands of others out there is not your opportunity…it’s your product. You have no business if you do not sell product (or a service). You need lots of customers and a few good business builders/partners who are vested in the solution you have, which is the product…the service. Learn to lead with the product first, the opportunity second.
6. Do Learn How To Retain Your Business Builders/Partners: You simply cannot duplicate yourself. Implementing a proven system…a plan of action…that will put you in profit each and every day will result in adding 2, 5, 10 plus people a week into your network marketing business working right from the comfort of your home. That’s a system that you can teach your business partners and have them realizing success within 30 days. This will ‘retain’ them vs. having them come in the front door and going out the back door.
7. Do Invest In Your Skill-set And Your Mind-set: Your most important asset is YOU. Would you rather spend a lot of time, money, and energy with little results and more stress and frustrations? This will end up breeding a negative mindset. Or would you rather put that same money and energy into yourself, learning a proper marketing skill-set that will yield you results: i.e. profitability and success? The answer is up to you. It’s your business, your life.
I hope this is clear. Knowing what to do, the Do’s… and what to avoid, the Don’ts in building a network marketing business from your home today is paramount to achieving the success and reaching the goals you have only, so far, been dreaming of. Go in with your eyes wide open and invest in you.