When you have made the decision to make a website for your business there are many things to consider. Where do you begin to look and what should you be looking for and where do you get started? Now that the decision to use a professional designer is made how do you choose the best designer for your business? There are 7 key items to use in choosing your web design company.
1. Determine your needs. There are an infinite number of websites out on the web today. You will see some very basic and simple designs and others designs that could blow your mind. To find the right business web designer for your business you must determine what your need is. If you have a large budget there are many more options than if you have a smaller budget. Determine what functionality you want and what your budget will be.
2. Google It! Google “business web design,” check out the first few sites that come up. If a site pops up in the first three results on a search engine they obviously know what they are doing. Half of the battle of a good business web design is will is show up on the search engines. What good is a business web site if it cannot be found? Explore what these companies have to offer. Will they fit your needs?
3. Portfolios. When researching a business web design company online see if they have a portfolio. A portfolio will show past work that they have done. Browse through work that some design companies have done and see if you like it. Besides just the pages to look through, see if there is a comment section from past clients. If there are case studies that show past successes, it shows how a company related to its clients.
4. Call Them. If you have found a company you are interested in working with give them a call. Building a business web design requires a partnership between the business owner and the web designer. Make sure you will be able to work well with the business web designer you choose. There will have to be excellent communication in order to make your dream web site a reality.
5. Ownership. Ask your web design company about ownership. Will the design company own your site after development, or will you own your site? Many web development companies use proprietary systems and software that can not be transferred. It should be discussed that if a company designs your site will they have to host it or will you own the web site and all content, and be able to move it and establish web hosting elsewhere, any time you wish.
6. Administrative Capabilities. Find out what administrative rights you will have over your website. When you are exploring what business web designer to use, find out how you can make changes and updates to your site. Some designers will give you administrative rights over your site. This will give you the power and ability to more easily manage your web site. This would enable you to control the administration, maintenance, upkeep and ongoing modifications to your web site at all times. Some other web designers will need to make all changes to your site, no matter how small they are. This can result in fees and updates taking longer than you want.
7. Other Services. Ask your web designer what other services they offer. When you choose a site designer will they be able to update and add on to your site in the future. Even if you want a basic package up front, you may want to upgrade in the future. Find out if a designer offers add ons, such as photo galleries, content writing, blog modules, IM and chat capabilities, newsletters, E-Commerce or SEO packages.
There are many different business web designers out there to meet the needs of any business. Be sure to know what you want and know what to look for when searching for a business web designer. A great business web designer will become a partner in your success.
Kristen Rosgaard is a native New Yorker who is now living in Dahlonega, GA working with GetUWired. GetUWired is a 7 year old business web design and development firm. We’ve built over 450 websites and have a 95% plus client retention rate. Please visit us at to browse our portfolio and review our packages.