When trying to establish a successful online business from affiliate marketing, the majority of people are easily discouraged by a lack of technical skills, lack of apparent success in the first stages and overwhelming choices and offers in the affiliate marketing niches.
Affiliate marketing is the promotion of someone else’s online (digital) products by an affiliate (you) for which you will get paid a commission when that product sells on your referral.
It is important to know the following three things, first, before you can take some simple steps to becoming a successful affiliate marketer:
• Why? Your reason, and the strength of your conviction for it, is going to determine your motivation for success in a hard, competitive affiliate marketing world.
• Your niche? There are many niches to choose from, of which, I think, “making money online” and “fat loss” are probably the biggest. You need to research and choose the niche before you start. Moving between niches is going to waste a lot of energy and time. You do not have to be an expert in your niche, but knowing something about it will help.
• Your education. Contrary to popular belief, you do not need a college education or be a technical whizzkid on a computer to be successful in affiliate marketing. You do need intermediate computer, email, internet, networking and sales skills though. Intermediate ability to write and read in English is another requirement.
When you have the above sorted, you can take the following, simplified steps to starting your Affiliate marketing business:
1. Choose your niche and stick with it:
This is a very important first step and most affiliate marketers make the mistake of moving around between niches because they have not made this all important decision. If you are not sure of which niches are available, go to any of the online retailers sites, such as ClickBank or Commission Junction, and look through their marketplace sections, where you will see the types of niches where there are affiliate products available for.
2. Open an online retailers account, e,g, ClickBank, Commission Junction, and also a PayPal account.
You will be paid through mainly ClickBank, or PayPal, and can also use PayPal to buy online digital products which you need to review to market to customers.
3. Choose products to market.
To see a list of products for your niche, do some basic research of the online digital retailers’ marketplace pages for vendors who offer products. Choose no more than 3 products to start off with. You can also search for specific vendors online and visit their affiliate links on their websites. It will tell you the commission they pay, how it is paid and how their affiliate system works.
4. Set up a web presence:
You need to get a “store” where you are going to market your products. It can be either a blog or official website, but you can also market products by writing articles and reviews, posting on forums and commenting on products on official review pages. Research these topics and find the best fit for your skills. You might not have website building skills yet, so a blog or writing articles may suit. There are many, many ways to market products online.
5. Get traffic to your site:
For advanced website builders, there are software available which will list your website or blog with search engines, or you could use advanced SEO techniques to get traffic to your site. Otherwise posting on forums and writing articles will get traffic to your site/blog.
6. Get a mentor or network for continuous learning:
If you want to be a successful affiliate marketer, you are never going to stop learning. In fact the pace and depth of your learning is going to be a great factor in your success. Keep on learning from others who have done it already and keep searching for better and more advanced ways of affiliate marketing. Increasing your skills and techniques will also increase your profit.
Everyone who has started out at affiliate marketing as a first step in an online business knows that the initial stages are hard and unforgiving. It is not easy to stay motivated when your account is still cashless after a few months of hard work. Don’t be discouraged though – doctors go to college for seven years before they can start earning good money. Rest assured, you can earn more and need to do less learning being a successful affiliate marketer, but you would have to start with these 6 steps though!