• I’ll Never Attract the Right People Until My Brand is Perfect: Believing in yourself is having confidence in your work, including your brand. Let your competency speak for your brand. The unreasonable need of others to believe in your brand in the meantime is standing in the way of real work that needs to be done. We ARE our brand, so believe in your value! Nothing increases your brand value than authenticity, and when you need the approval of others before you value yourself, that is not authentically who you are. Your authentic self is confident and knows that you don’t truly need the approval of your brand before it becomes relevant because YOU are relevant!
• Not Being Mindful of How You Present Yourself on Social Media: Being passionate about your brand will likely give you an informal appeal. In your field this makes your brand more impressive. To demonstrate an even more interesting appeal start your discussions with informative and relevant articles, use social media outlets to present yourself in competent ways other than for your job or client search.
• Not Providing Value To Others: Adding value to others may just as well add value to yourself. Giving is not always about receiving, it’s about presenting opportunities to others and expecting opportunities in the most unexpected ways. When you offer plenty of value to your audience BEFORE a sale, it increases your perceived value overall because “If this is what I get for FREE… imagine what value I get if I pay!” So providing valuable content to others is a MUST in today’s marketplace.
• Engaging in Networking Events Unprepared: Engaging in events and conversation is one thing, knowing who you are and what you’re seeking is another. The most beneficial information you leave with is as clear as your mission. BE PREPARED! Nothing makes you appear more unprofessional and like a rookie, than showing up to network and not being able to network!! Imagine being at a network event and going to exchange business cards and you don’t have any on you!! Or better yet, you have a ton of conversations, yet walk away with nothing because you have no idea what you came for and what you want to accomplish in the first place!
• Not Knowing When To Let Go: You can brand yourself as fabulous at what you do because you have confidence that you are. But you will brand yourself as desperate and non-appealing if you give your all and won’t let go. In most cases you will ruin your one shot. You don’t want this.